Part-Time Employment Opportunities
POSITION CURRENTLY FILLED
Will reopen for applications in the summer of 2022
Forklift Driver, Part-Time
The Center regularly looks for part-time, student workers to conduct durability simulations using an industrial forklift. The position requires following a predefined set of handling steps using a forklift, and the ability to take photographs and enter and upload data on an iPad. These simulations often will require work in an unconditioned space and/or conducting tests outside.
There are generally positions open at the start of each semester, and the position could last as long as the students hired wish to work throughout their time at VT.
We will provide all necessary training and the pay rate is $15.00 per hour.
- Operate industrial forklift
- Follow standard operating procedures
- Take report-quality pictures
- Enter data on an iPad
- Applicants need to be able to work independently, have a positive attitude, ability to flourish in an independent work environment, possess a strong work ethic, and have strong data collection skills.
- All candidates should be able to lift 50 lbs. and be able to work on their feet in an industrial environment.
- Will need to pass the safety trainings required by EHS at Virginia Tech.
- Forklift drivers must wear appropriate personal protective equipment at all times.
- Previous experience driving forklifts is preferred.
Requirements: Previous experience driving forklifts is preferred. Applicants will need to commit to 16-20 hours per week, in 4-hour blocks for the rest of the 2021-2022 school year. The scheduled hours will be reevaluated at the beginning of each semester in order to accommodate student academic commitments. The most important credentials for an applicant are punctuality, accuracy, and enthusiasm for the mission of the Center.