Part-Time Employment Opportunities
Data Entry Assistant
Research at CPULD focuses on the development of systems-based technologies to optimize the relationship between the design and performance of unit loads and maximize the efficiency of the whole material handling system.
This data entry assistant position provides a great opportunity for students interested in gaining experience in developing web databases and web-based search modules.
- Rebuilding/Completing a searchable database of historical research articles.
- Recreation, revision, and maintenance of a web-based interface that will search for articles in the database and will allow for the continual uploading of articles to the database.
- Linking this web-based interface to the Center website.
- Maintaining the database and the web-based interface as needed.
- Only students currently enrolled at Virginia Tech are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be eligible for Federal Work Study jobs.
- Applicants must have a working knowledge of databases and maintaining them thru online systems.
- Applicants should show previous experience working with data entry, online databases, and preferably have previous experience building web-based searchable databases from scratch.
- The applicant must be able to work independently with great attention to detail.
- Must be available 15-20 hours per week, with some that time being spent at the Brooks Forest Products Center near the CRC, and the remainder of their hours being worked either on-premises or remotely.
- Must have own transportation to and from this off-campus building.
- The pay rate is $15.00 per hour.
POSITION CURRENTLY FILLED
Will reopen for applications in the spring/summer of 2024
Forklift Driver, Part-Time
The Center regularly looks for part-time, student workers to conduct durability simulations using an industrial forklift. The position requires following a predefined set of handling steps using a forklift, and the ability to take photographs and enter and upload data on an iPad. These simulations often will require work in an unconditioned space and/or conducting tests outside.
There are generally positions open at the start of each semester, and the position could last as long as the students hired wish to work throughout their time at VT.
We will provide all necessary training and the pay rate is $15.00 per hour.
- Operate industrial forklift
- Follow standard operating procedures
- Take report-quality pictures
- Enter data on an iPad
- Applicants need to be able to work independently, have a positive attitude, ability to flourish in an independent work environment, possess a strong work ethic, and have strong data collection skills.
- All candidates should be able to lift 50 lbs. and be able to work on their feet in an industrial environment.
- Will need to pass the safety trainings required by EHS at Virginia Tech.
- Forklift drivers must wear appropriate personal protective equipment at all times.
- Previous experience driving forklifts is preferred.
Requirements: Previous experience driving forklifts is preferred. Applicants will need to commit to 16-20 hours per week, in 4-hour blocks for a full school year. The scheduled hours will be reevaluated at the beginning of each semester in order to accommodate student academic commitments. The most important credentials for an applicant are punctuality, accuracy, and enthusiasm for the mission of the Center.